We’re no prudes here at Shanghaiist. We’ve seen the dancing poles at Blue Angel. We’ve been propositioned by local ladies passing in the street (as recently as last week, in the dairy section of the Fresh Mart at Jing’an City Plaza). Admittedly, though, we’re yet to experience a stage full of male strippers.
Fairly keen to keep it that way, too.
Which is why we’re hoping nobody drags us along to the Stock Exchange on Tongren Lu this Friday or Saturday evening. For that’s when the Princes of the Night will emerge from the darkness. This all-male “preveiw” dance show (royalty, it seems, is exempt from the “I before E” rule) comes direct from the Crown Casino in Melbourne, Australia, to perform in Shanghai for “two nights only”. Only?!
According to this notice, the eight dancers “will transport you on a journey into the realms of passion, seduction and charm”. But it’s the Princes’ website which is particularly enlightening. Never ones to shy away from doing the hard research, Shanghaiist has trawled through the site to come up with our personal list of Five Favourite Princes:
- The Prince of Darkness. “Born in the year of the Tiger … All tigers have a reputation for loving sex & being great at it. I have it on very good authority that he more than lives up to this.”
- The Black Knight. “Girls when you see this man move it is a treat for your eyes. It is like poetry in motion. I liken it to fast running water over a glistening shinning rock.”
- The Virgin Prince. “… has only just been released into the palace after years of being kept prisoner in the dungeon.” [To paraphrase the late Rodney Dangerfield: “Put him back in!”] “It is time for the boy to become a man. And what a man he will be, did you know that the infamous lover Mick Jagga is also a Leo.”
- The Prince of Seduction. “Our very handsome gangster! … He loves family, history, stories, food, drink & most of all he wallows in making love!”
- The Prince of Fire. “His simian grace of movement & the dark depths in his eyes will leave you burning with desire.”
If that’s not enough, casting his authority over them all is “The King”, who will also be the MC for the two nights on Tongren Lu: “… heartbreakingly attractive to look at, with a stately charm that appeals to everybody from Grandma to the family pooch.”
Yes, Shanghaiist is certain that our much beloved but now-deceased 19-year-old half-labrador-half-dachshund cross would have loved The King’s work.
Here’s hoping you do too.
Princes of the Night at the Stock Exchange, 331 Tongren Lu (请带我去同仁路331号， 近北京路). July 22-23, 9:30 pm-late. Tickets: RMB 150 including a drink. Tel: 6289-2635. www.stockexchange.com.cn