After dozens of tryouts, we have finally selected the DJ for the Shanghaiist Happy Hour, coming up Friday, March 3 at Blue Frog on Tongren Lu. And the winner is … “The Weasel” … aka Shanghaiist’s own Jeff Jorve (really, his iPod will be spinning all the tracks). Expect an eclectic mix — and likely several songs with references to ultimate frisbee. To get a better feel for what Jeff-Jorve-the-DJ will be like, check out our top albums of 2005. Here is Jeff’s top 20:
1. Sufjan Stevens – Illinois
2. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah – Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
3. M.I.A. – Arular
4. Gorillaz – Demon Days
5. Edan – Beauty and the Beat
6. LCD SOundsystem – LCD Soundsystem
7. Antony and the Johnsons – I Am A Bird Now
8. Bright Eyes – I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning
9. Prefuse 73 – Surrounded by Silence
10. DangerDOOM – The Mouse + The Mask
11. Franz Ferdinand – You Could Have It So Much Better With Franz Ferdinand
12. The White Stripes – Get Behind Me Satan
13. Four Tet – Everything Ecstatic
14. Bloc Party – Silent Alarm (Remixed)
15. Animal Collective – Feels
16. Wolf Parade – Apologies to the Queen Mary
17. Broken Social Scene – Broken Social Scene
18. The Boy Least Likely To… – The Best Party Ever…
19. Caribou – The Milk of Human Kindness
20. Autechre – Untilted
Feel free to make some requests in the comments section of this post. We can’t guarantee that Jeff will oblige, however. (You know how “artists” can be …).
Once again, here are the details of the evening:
What: Shanghaiist Happy Hour II
When: Friday, March 3, 6 pm-9 pm
Where: Blue Frog, 86 Tongren Lu, Tel: 6445-6634 (请带我去铜仁路86号)
Who: Anyone who shows up
Drink Specials: Two-for-the-price-of-one on all standard drinks. (Standard drinks are house wines, bottled and draft beers, house spirits — vodka, gin, rum, whiskey — with juices or sodas.)
Free Food: Nachos, marinated chicken skewers, spring rolls, etc.
Shooters: Blue Frog is famous for having a ridiculous number of shots available, and we have been warned by bar management that some might “appear” throughout the evening.
Music: Whatever Jeff Jorve wants you to hear
See you soon!