- While liquor and Coke were free, just Coke was not, which led to the best we’ve ever heard Ferris Wheel play (lead singer doesn’t normally drink).
- Crowd favorites Banana Monkey favored the crowd so much, they started drinking with them –- during their set which led to:
- Lead singer falling off of the stage
- Bassist falling off of the stage
- Lead singer getting back on the stage and throwing beer off of the stage
- Sound engineer throwing beer back
- Beer being thrown all around, shorting out the entire mixing board
- Which led to Flying Fruit not being able to take the stage
…tell us that’s not indie — and, oh yeah, it was fun.
So, to all of those whose “Bon Bon … really?” kept them from showing up — you missed a great show. We don’t forgive you, but Bon Bon does, so they hope to see you next Wednesday night for another GigLive show … speaking of which, this week’s GigShanghai was a drunken attempt, but an attempt nonetheless.
MC Mojo stopped by our “private booth” to talk hip-hop, we try and pronounce the town devastated by a hurricane which will benefit from YYT’s Disaster Relief show this weekend and a look/listen to Beijing hip-hop group CMCB.
Click here to listen to this week’s GigShanghai podcast live from last night’s Bon Bon show:
powered by ODEO
Hungover as we are — we still break it on down for ya …
0:38 – “We’re going to be doing this (GigLive) every Wednesday night, bringing on indie groups … some are rock, some are hip-hop …”
1:43 – “If you’re part of that (underground) circuit, you’ll call them Backland Hotdog …”
1:54 – Shanghaiist Pick of the Week: CMCB music clip
3:21 – “Coming up next on stage will be Banana Monkey, who tore YYT up the other weekend…”
4:04 – “The sound guy went crazy and threw some stuff back at him — that’s entertainment!”
4:35 – “It’s a good thing — you get to see bands you don’t know!”
5:39 – “MC Mojo — hopefully we can talk you into getting on the stage …”
6:37 – Has Not Had the Time (possible translation error?!) music clip
7:37 – “Tell me more about how hip-hop is starting to shape up here, man.”
8:29 – “The problem with Shanghai is that it’s so segregated …”
9:58 – “I don’t know where Sangmei is, but apparently they had a very big hurricane.”
10:07 – Crazy Mushroom Group clip (live from YYT)
10:53 – “How fucking indie were we? We spilled beer all over our wires and shorted them out …”
We’d like to sleep now — see you next Wednesday.
Photo of GigLive @ BonBon by TimnRob