It has recently been brought to our attention that perhaps we are unable to be objective when writing about the music scene here — but, for a moment, consider our position:
- The main “live music” venue in town, Tanghui, was shut down due to lack of license.
- The “other”, Yuyintang, has not returned any of our emails about the canceling this weekend of the Brain Failure show.
- Live Bar, an old favorite, temporarily shut down before being taken over by one of us (Brad — grand opening October 6th).
- We are the only consistent ones putting on live gigs in this town — are we, perhaps, to confident about it? No — we’re just certain that Wednesday nights, our GigLive nights, at BonBon are the best thing, rock-wise, during the entire week.
We are the goddamn rock scene here — who else can brag about getting a mosh pit in BonBon?
But don’t take our word for it (even though we’re great), ask anyone who stepped foot into the madness last night for the four-band lineup (Sonnet, Fuckenrolls, Mortal Fools (wow) and Joyside) — it was, in our unobjective opinion, one of the best shows this year. So, yeah, we’re stoked … even more so that more and more people are attending. This leads to more folks attending more shows (not just ours) and building up the scene — or what’s left of it — which is why we started this whole thing in the first place.
That being said, it’s a weekend for everyone in the Shang.
- MC Mojo, one of the family (both GigShanghai and now Shanghaiist), brings his crew to the Back to the Roots, Vol. 3 show at Blue Ice.
- The enigmatic Toote6 grace Fabrique with their heavenly pairing as well.
- Hard-not-to-love Brown Nylon Suit plays C’s tonight.
It’s all covered in the show — so press play and be happy … it’s finally happening.
powered by ODEO