- If we were in Beijing right now we’d definitely go to the Robot Expo just to see Zou Renti and his evil robot twin. (Can you tell, in the picture, which one is the human?)
- World renowned architect I.M. Pei built a $40 million USD museum in Suzhou, his ancestral home. This is only the second building that he has designed and completed in China.
- Seventeen si he yuan (四合院) or traditional Beijing courtyard houses (the kinds you find off hutongs) were on the auctioning block in the first auction of its kind in Beijing. While many people expressed interest, not one person actually bid on any of the courtyard homes, citing the possibility of demolition and other uncertainties as factors that influenced their decisions.
- If you didn’t get enough of Aussie rules football at our last happy hour, you should head up to Beijing, where the Tianjin Normal University (all Chinese) takes on the Beijing Bombers (all Australians) on October 22.
- If Beijing really plans on monitoring the behavior of 10-24 year olds in order to make sure they don’t do drugs, have sex, get violent, or get addicted to the internet, then a lot of people might face the same fate as one Beijing aviation training university student, who is being kicked out of school for numerous reasons, one being that he is too “intimate with his girlfriend,” or 交往过密 in Chinese. He was skipping classes, doing poorly in school, and once even kissed his girlfriend in class!
- Experts claim that over 400 Chinese cities have inadequate water supplies and that the search for more underground water is continuing to cause ecological damage.
- A recent cosmetics commercial starring Jiang Wenli (蒋雯丽）has stirred some controversy because of certain incestuous insinuations — here’s the dialogue, in Chinese, with our translation:
Son (innocently): Mom, when I grow up I want to marry you
Mother (surprised): What?
Son (earnestly): I want to marry you.
Mother (teasingly): Then what about Daddy?
Son: When I grow up, Daddy is going to get old. (The two happily embrace).
Son: Mom, you’re never going to get old.
(Voice-over): xxx Skin protection series is going to make sure that Mommy will stay young forever!
Photo by taken from Shanghai Sky the Shanghaiist Contribute page. To see your photos on our Contribute page, use Flickr and tag your photos “shanghaiist”. Or you can email your photos to [email protected] and they will automatically appear on our site.