- News Corp just clinched a deal with China Mobile to provide wireless music and is also in early talks with Chinese blog providers such as blog.cn and Bokee.
- A boy’s death at a south-western hospital sparked a riot after the hospital refused to give him care before his grandfather could pony up the money. The cost? £40 or $82 or around 500 RMB.
- No more photocopying of foreign textbooks in Chinese universities — now they can finally enjoy the pleasure of nabbing the last used version of an overpriced textbook for a course they are only going to take once in their lives leaving the rest of the suckers to pay the full price!
- Read the following paragraph:
In the cases of Dubai and China, all the arduous intermediate stages of commercial evolution have been telescoped or short-circuited to embrace the ‘perfected’ synthesis of shopping, entertainment and architectural spectacle, on the most pharaonic scale.
If you know what this means consider reading the rest of what Mike Davis has to say.
- There’s an awesome party on a boat for eligible bachelors and bachelorettes on a luxury boat in Shanghai to be held on November 25. Guys — don’t forget to bring your 28,800 RMB tickets.
- A plastic surgery video has aroused controversy because it’s too bloody for people’s tastes.
- Microsoft denies reports that it’s leaving China because of censorship, which makes sense since censorship doesn’t exist.
- If you find a rare tiger frog in Pudong please try to avoid killing it.
- Director John Woo was in town recently promoting a the movie 《天堂口》 (Tian Tang Kou), a Shanghai gangster film. Also known as Blood Brothers in English, first-time helmer Chen Yili’s film features a star-studded cast including Chang Chen (Zhang Zhen) , Shu Qi, Daniel Wu (Wu Yanzu) and Liu Ye.
Photo by Shanghai Sky taken from the Shanghaiist Contribute page. To see your photos on our Contribute page, use Flickr and tag your photos “shanghaiist”. Or you can email your photos to [email protected] and they will automatically appear on our site.