For those of you headed to the Shanghai Concert Hall tonight to see Sonic Youth, above you’ll see a little taste of what you can expect.
Maureen Fan reports that Beijing opening act Car Sick Cars were “suddenly cancelled.” She suspects foul play. The crowd, she says, was “young and arty, and very moshy.” We’re not sure how much moshing will go on tonight in Shanghai’s comparatively staid venue.
Another Beijing blogger offered these observations:
- “It was 90-95% Chinese.” As in the crowd. Don’t see how that will be possible in Shanghai.
- “They played songs from a variety of there albums.”
- “No one stage dived. People were attempting but didnt. But yeah I was worried about being kicked in the face when people were lifted above the crowd.” We have a feeling Sonic Youth will find the Shanghai crowd boring.
- “The mike didnt work. Kyms. she was pretty shitty. she is quite scowly really. quite cranky. and some of the crowd were complaining.”
- “we waited 2 hours till the show started.” Please, please, please don’t let this happen tonight.
jennywong has lots of photos from the Beijing gig. greenan has some, too. Check here for more.
Also on Shanghaiist
Teen age riot! Sonic Youth to tour China in April
Sonic Youth tickets on sale tomorrow
Sonic Youth play the Shanghai Concert Hall, 8 pm TONIGHT. 523 Yan’an Dong Lu (near Xizang Lu). Tickets are still available “but selling fast” — we have been told they will be selling from a van near the Concert Hall, because the box office wanted too big of a cut.
Photo from jonstraveladventures.