Shanghaiist is teaming up with City Diner to throw the city’s biggest and baddest 4th of July party — held, naturally, on the 1st of July (a Sunday) at City Diner’s Hongmei Lu location. You don’t have to be an American to get in — non-Americans who enjoy food, drink, music, fun and fireworks (along with some friendly competition) are encouraged to attend!
The party will be held outside, from 12 noon to sundown. Highlights include:
- “Best Burger in Shanghai” competition — taste and vote on all of the entries!
- Live music (performers yet to be determined)
- Fun and games
- Lucky draw/raffle with plenty of prizes
- Fireworks at sunset
- All the sliders (mini hamburgers) you can eat
- Free flow of beer, sangria and soda
- And finally, plenty of good natured trash talkin’!
Entry to the party is RMB 150 per person. We suggest you come hungry (and thirsty).
Perhaps you want to up the ante a bit, however. We are still looking for teams interested in competing for the title of “Best Burger in Shanghai.” Think you’ve got what it takes? Here are the rules. (You can download an entry form here.)
The City Diner Burger Grill Off is open to all restaurants, corporations and individuals/families. Prizes will be awarded for:
• First, Second and Third Place
• People’s Choice
• Most Creative Burger
• Best Team Spirit (Tent Decorations/Uniforms)
To further guarantee you bragging rights with your buddies, the First Place Burger will be featured on the City Diner menu for a period of 6 months!
City Diner will provide each team of up to 4 people the following:
• communal BBQ Area and BBQ utensils
• individual tents and tables for plating
• mini hamburger buns and all standard condiments
• BBQ area/tent stalls available for set up from 10:00am the day of the event
Each Team will be responsible for supplying:
• 7.5kg of your own marinated or non-marinated hamburger mix – beef, chicken, pork, lamb, sausage, chorizo (dare we say veggie…?)
• hamburger patties should be 50 grams each or roughly the size of a golf ball
• your own super secret special toppings, sauces or fixings!
Entry Fee for a team of up to 4 people is RMB 500. This includes entry to the event, all the beer you can drink, live music, entry to the lucky draw and commemorative t-shirts for each of your team members.
ENTRY FORMS AND FEES MUST BE RECEIVED AT EITHER CITY DINER LOCATION BY JUNE 20, 2007!!
Space is limited to the first 20 teams that get their entry forms and deposit in, so hurry up and get crackin’!
Got a question? Want to donate a prize for the lucky draw? Want to be a judge? Email info at citydiner.cn or just leave a comment below.
2007 Independence Day Burger Grill-Off at City Diner Hongmei, Sunday, July 1, 12 noon to sunset, 3211 Hongmei Lu, near Hongqiao Lu, Tel: 6401-1600. 虹梅路 3211号,近虹桥路.
Co-Sponsors: SH, Sherpa’s, American Craft Beer Partners, VIN.