- Indonesia – ‘Little People’ of Indonesia Seem to Be Distinct Tribe [NY Times]
In the continuing debate over the origin of the extinct “little people” of Indonesia, a team of scientists says it has found evidence in three wrist bones that these people were members of a distinct species rather than humans with a physical disorder.
- Putrajaya, Malaysia – Malaysia lawyers hold rare demonstration for reform [Reuters]
About 800 Malaysian lawyers marched on the prime minister’s office on Wednesday to demand reforms to the country’s judiciary after a scandal erupted over claims of political meddling in the appointment of judges.
- Yangon, Myanmar – Police beat protesters with batons [Channel News Asia]
Police baton-charged a crowd of around 700 anti-military protesters including students and some Buddhist monks who gathered near a pagoda in Myanmar’s main city Yangon in defiance of a ban, witnesses said.
- Tokyo, Japan – New PM heads for showdown with opposition [Channel News Asia]
Japan’s new Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda was ceremonially sworn into office Wednesday as he headed toward a showdown with the resurgent opposition amid growing calls for snap elections.
- Zamboanga, Philippines – Two soldiers dead in assault on Muslim extremists [AFP]
Two soldiers were killed and nine wounded in a clash with Al-Qaeda-linked Muslim extremists on the southern Philippine island of Basilan.
- Kabul, Afghanistan – Abducted Italian soldiers freed in Afghanistan [Reuters]
Two Italian soldiers kidnapped in Afghanistan were freed on Monday during a raid by NATO-led troops.
Photo of the ‘Little People’ of Indonesia from Asian Offbeat