Have you (like us) waited until the last minute to get your Halloween costume even though back in September you promised yourself you’d start putting it together early this year? Not to worry. Shanghaiist has you covered. Here’s a list of places to get pre-made Halloween costumes and accessories that we put together last year. We’ve given them a call and apparently they’re all still up and running. If any of you finds any other great places for costumes, please email us at info AT shanghaiist DOT com and we will add them on to the list.
- Holiday House: 1188 Panyu Lu, near Hongqiao lu (番禺路1188号，近虹桥路). Tel: 64477189, Open 9:30-6:00 pm (Sucky hours!). A kind of one-stop-shop for costumes for kids and adults and decorations. Staff speak English and can be pretty surly.
- Shanghai Zhongbao Dress Ornament Co. Ltd.: No.99, Lane 2035 Wuzhong Lu (吴中路2035弄99号). Open until 9pm on weekdays and slightly different hours on the weekend (we suggest you call first). Tel: 64780825/54859199, Fax: 6419 3855, E-mail: [email protected] Longer hours, wider adult selection and cheaper prices, but really far from downtown (expect a 40-50 kuai cab fare) and a little hard to find as Lane 2035 is hard to see, the street numbers are out of order and the “99” is spray painted on the wall, and it’s a warehouse behind a gate. But it’s worth the effort!
- Nantai Costume Company: 181 Henan Zhong Lu, near Fuzhou Lu (河南中路181号，进福州路) Tel: 63238344. This place, five minutes west of the Bund outfits many of the local opera troupes and has the ambience of a factory store. Shelves are stacked with everything from tasseled platform slippers to stringy beards. Say hello to Chun Ge, the store’s pet mynah bird — he’ll say ni hao back.
- Chain stores like Carrefour and Hola, with a second location here, have a limited selection of Halloween supplies.
- Party Monster is a place Shanghaiist has heard about, but never visited.
- Finally, if you’re throwing a pre-Halloween party — before heading out to Shanghaiist’s bash — cheap decorations can be found at 338 Fuyou Lu (53067671 or 13661958246) and several other small shops in the Yu Yuan area. There are also some big multi-story “crafts” markets on the same road that sell Halloweenesque items (or at least what we would only use for the holiday). Just be ready to fight the crowds.
- Old standby markets like Qipu Lu (at its intersection with Henan Lu) could also be an inspiration. We wish we went there before our 80s party.
There you have it! With so many choices and FIVE more days till the big party, don’t even THINK of appearing at the party without a costume! In the meanwhile, don’t forget to add us up on Facebook and send the invite to all your friends!