- Yu Zhengsheng replaces Xi Jinping as Party head in Shanghai [Xinhua]
Xi Jinping no longer serves concurrently as the Party secretary of the Shanghai Municipal Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC). The post is now held by Yu Zhengsheng, according to the CPC Central Committee.
- Boom in China’s coal industry draws increasing interest from American investors and business [IHT]
As China’s appetite for coal is booming, American investors and businesses are cashing in.
- India has lot to learn from China on economic reforms: Sonia [The Hindu]
Describing the pace of change in China as “truly astounding and outstanding,” Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Saturday said India had much to learn from China’s economic reforms and liberalisation.
- Africa: China cashes in [Africasia.com]
China’s government may have high-profile political and strategic reasons for seeking closer ties with Africa, but its companies are on the continent mostly for the money, analysts say.
- Japan warns China activist boat near disputed isles [Reuters]
A boat carrying Chinese activists on Sunday briefly entered waters claimed by Japan near disputed islands in the East China Sea, but left after a warning from a Japan Coast Guard patrol boat, the Japan Coast Guard said.
- Israel to Press China for Tougher Sanctions on Iran [VOA News]
Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni is bringing a clear message to China: Israel will not allow Iran to get the atom bomb. Israel is concerned that China and Russia, which are permanent members of the U.N. Security Council, have opposed calls by the United States for tougher sanctions on Iran.
Photo from Mike Chen