– Lance has left the British Bulldog to work in a pub next to the Intercontinental Hotel in Shenzhen. He was seen lugging 3 brand new suits to the airport on his day of departure. The new owners are supposedly a group of finance industry bods headed by an Australian bank GM.
– Gerard and Kinsey, ex Blarney Stone, will open a pub on Hengshan Rd soon after Chinese New Year. Stephen Sands, ex O’Malleys, Dragon Pub and Fosters, is likely to join them.
– In yet more Blarney news, congrats to bartender Crystal, who will marry her Canadian b/f at the end of this month.
– A new place called Red Beat will soon open on Tongren Road (yawn). Let’s see if they try offering something different (don’t hold your breath though).
– Another new drinking place is Lounge 18, on the 4th floor of Bund 18, where the infamous Bar Rouge is housed on the 7th floor. I’ll probably take a squizz this weekend. Thanks, WH, for the tip-off.
– Big Bamboo has a roast turkey sandwich on the menu, complete with gravy, for RMB65 which is absolutely ‘de-lish.’ Have this a few times this week and you won’t need to pay silly money on the 24th or 25th at other venues.
– Do you enjoy sipping a drink while listening to soft singing? Go listen to Arlene and her band at the British Bar, secreted deep inside the bowels of the Broadway Mansions Hotel (20 Suzhou North Road). For something a bit pacier, hear Raina (an Uzbekistani) at Park 97.
HAPPY DRINKING AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Photo from 2 dogs
Winopete is Shanghaiist’s resident drunkard. Email tips, recommendations, news and gossip about Shanghai’s bar scene to drink at shanghaiist dot com.