For Part 1 of this story, click HERE.
Shanghaiist is hyperventilating. Just when we thought the worst was over, a new set of pics have surfaced. After looking through the pictures, we had to take a while to recover from the massive nasal haemorrhage we suffered before we could calm down ourselves enough to put this story together (oh how very self-sacrificial!).
The surfacing of the new pictures are an embarrassment to the Hong Kong police, who with the eight arrests they have made over the last few days claimed that they have already come down to the source of the pictures. To prevent the pictures from spreading further, the police have also highlighted to the public that it is an offence to publish, post or pass on the pictures. In the meanwhile, though, the pictures have been brazenly published on online forums and websites on the mainland (don’t ask us for links!). If you conduct a Baidu search for Edison Chen’s Chinese name “陈冠希”, Baidu will even help you find what you are looking for by suggesting other search terms at the bottom of the page:
[Note: These search terms include “Edison Chen Sex-Photo-Gate”, “Edison Chen Gillian Chung Sex Pictures Original” and “Edison Chen Pictures Download”… Thanks Baidu!]
In particular, a mystery man named “Kira” continues to lurk out there. He has leaked about 300 pictures and has promised 600 more as well as a video. This is in line with the planned and phased roll-out of the pictures we told you about earlier. (Note: “Kira” is a character in the Japanese manga series Death Note.) Unperturbed by the intimidation tactics of the police, “Kira” has basically issued a challenge to the police to “catch me if you can” and posted this note:
Rumor: video will coming out soon, and also the 4th pic is fake
32 mins video of E & G.
Coming out soon.
believe it or not.
I am not in hk , so i dun give a sh*t.
the 4th pic is fake, she is a Jap AV
here u are
the video clip is in media’’s hands,
the co-worker alrdy got the copies,
cannot get thu it now, be patient just wait
At the moment, the pictures are spreading like wildfire through the Chinese internet and blogosphere and there is no turning the tide. The most recent pictures released have implicated two other women, and people are speculating they are Yu Chiu (赵颂茹) and a Japanese porn star. Here are some of the latest pics released by “Kira”:
According to the Wikipedia entry on the scandal, the police in Hong Kong have gone so far as to enlist the assistance of Interpol, but their actions have “raised concerns about violation of human rights and the relationship with powerful media tycoons”. Also:
Commissioner of Police Tang King Shing has warned on radio that anyone with the pictures on their computer, even without any record of distributing them, are in breach of the law. The Commissioner’s remarks, criticised as irresponsible, caused outrage among the Hong Kong public, who questioned the police’s selectiveness and heavy-handedness in this case, as compared with previous cases of pornography distribution on the internet. Lawmaker “Long Hair” Leung Kwok Hung and about two dozen people protested outside police headquarters in Wan Chai, accusing the police of sowing confusion and creating an atmosphere of terror among netizens, and urged Commissioner Tang to clarify whether or not keeping the pictures violated the law.
Eventually, the police clarified that “people who had only transferred the obscene picture files to friends had not violated the law, but those who had posted them to internet web pages would be in breach of the law”, causing law-fearing netizens to start sending the pictures to each other by email or MSN, or turn to mainland China sites.
In the fallout:
- Edison has been dumped from the upcoming movie Jump <跳出去>, a joint production between Columbia Pictures and Stephen Chow’s (周星馳) company Star Overseas. All scenes involving Edison are said to have been cut from the film which also stars Kitty Zhang (張雨綺) and the launch of the movie has been postponed from May to October. Director Stephen Fung (馮德倫) has said that he now awaits the return of Stephen Chow and the arrival of a Columbia Pictures representative so they can begin recasting.
- Hong Kongers have set up various Facebook groups: 打死我都唔信D相係假 (Those pics are fake? Over my dead body!), 強烈要求鄧竟成去加拿大捉拿陳冠希 (Petition to police chief Tang King Shing to arrest Edison Chen from Canada), 你們的明星 , Star at Hong Kong and 我認!! 我有睇過果d床上照!! XD (I confess! I saw those pics!!)
What other stars have said:
- Jay Chou (周杰伦), who has had his face superimposed on a nude body once, joked, “Luckily he has a good figure”. Jay is now in Singapore to promote his latest movie Kung Fu Dunk.
- Chinese megastar Gong Li (鞏俐) says, “Young people may be very impulsive but there is no point blaming them. If we can embrace them with wider arms, they will learn from their mistakes.”
- Veteran Hong Kong actress Lisa Wang (汪明荃) says, “If you don’t want others to see you naked, then don’t take such pics!”
- Rumours have surfaced that Cecilia Cheung has sent Edison Chen a lawyer’s letter seeking compension for his negligence in handling the pictures. The actress has vehemently denied the veracity of the rumours.
The scandal has been the source of countless jokes in Hong Kong:
Left: Edison Chen has been labelled a hypocrite and caricatured as the terrorist Osama Bin Laden by Hong Kong netizens.
Centre: Gillian Chung wants you to try Edison Chen sausages!
Right: Edison Chen endorses Gillian Chung abalone just in time for the Chinese New Year!
There are similarities between the girl in the latest set of released pictures and a Japanese porn star, although no name has yet surfaced:
The scandal is now splashed across the front page of practically all the gossip magazines in Hong Kong:
The Ultimate PC & Mac store at 50 Stanley Street, Central, has scrambled to put up a sign dissociating itself from the scandal, and clarifying that it is another Mac store at the same address that is in the news. Someone had the good humour to scribble on the poster, “No, we only sell pirated software!”
Hong Kong police say the released pictures have opened a whole can of worms and they are now investigating to see if the female stars consented to having their pictures/videos taken and if they were under the influence of alcohol or drugs:Hong Kong netizens are also unimpressed with Gillian Chung who was embroiled in a similar scandal in October 2004. After the scandal erupted, she had spoken to the media in tears saying she would not be so stupid to allow any other man to take nude pictures of her. Looks like history has repeated itself.
Batgwa.com: ‘Edison’s Conquests’ Sex Photos – New Blowjob Pics?
The Blemish: Update: Edison Chen has sex pictures
Cool Smurf: More Edison sex photos leaked today as “Kira” promises video is next
Kungfu News: 汪明荃说陈冠希艳照门事件：不想被别人看到就不要拍
Sina: 曾與陳冠希傳過緋聞 趙頌茹：看過裸照 不會回應
New Paper: I’m lucky fake body looks good
UPDATE: Jolin Tsai, Maggie Q, Vincey Yeung sucked into Edison Chen scandal; Gillian Chung admits involvement
UPDATE 2:Edison Chen sex scandal: Witchhunt hits China
UPDATE 3: Edison Chen stuns Hong Kong by quitting showbiz
UPDATE 4: Someday, China may look back at the Edison Chen scandal and thank the man for its privacy laws
For more China sex stories, click here.