BAIDU RAPPED FOR SPREADING THE PICTURES; CHINESE COPS ARREST 10 SUSPECTS IN SHENZHEN
We told you in an earlier story how Baidu, China’s most popular search engine, was making it oh-so-easy for everyone to find pictures of Edison Chen engaged in naughty activities with various Hong Kong starlets. Conduct a Baidu search for Edison Chen’s Chinese name “陈冠希”, and Baidu will offer up automatic related keyword searches for “Edison Chen Sex-Photo-Gate”, “Edison Chen Gillian Chung Sex Pictures Original” and “Edison Chen Pictures Download”. Now the government-sponsored Beijing Association of Online Media, described by Xinhua as an Internet self-discipline organisation, has censured Baidu for not blocking what it referred to as “dirty pictures”. While praising other mainland websites, such as NetEase.com and Sina.com, for advising its users not to disseminate the photos, the association has also asked Baidu to apologise for its actions (although we’re not sure to whom!).
In a related development, Chinese police have also apprehended 10 suspects just across the border in Shenzhen for allegedly producing, selling and purchasing discs of the Edison Chen pictures. The action is strikingly similar to the much-criticised move by Hong Kong police to arrest what the public believe are scapegoats and people have taken to the street to voice their discontent. All suspects have since been released. After being held in custody for two weeks, the final suspect, Chung Yik-tin, was released after the Justice Department ruled that the pictures were “indecent, not obscene” (now someone tell us what that means, please!).
In other news:
- Rumours are swirling that underworld figures in Hong Kong now want Edison Chen dead for what he’s done. One triad leader has reportedly offered a HK$500,000 reward to hack off one of Edison’s hands (we’re not sure though if hacking both of his hands gets you a million).
- Gillian Chung has gone back on stage in an all-star line-up for a China snowstorm fundraiser held by the local TVB station. We’re not sure how much money she raised, but 200 viewers were angry enough to phone in to register their complaints. The grapevine also has it that Gillian will be axed from Chen Kaige’s latest movie on Peking opera legend Mei Lanfang, but the film’s producers have since denied it.
- According to the Southern Metropolis Daily , a Hong Kong director once lost a HK$10,000 bet with Edison Chen for not believing that he had nude pictures of the female stars.
- Despite earlier reports that Edison would be back in Hong Kong last week, he is still nowhere to be found. Apparently, he is in negotiations with the police via his lawyers for 24-hour police protection, a safe house and a guarantee of his status as a witness because of all the threats that have been made on his life and because some of the female stars are said to be managed by individuals with gang connections.
- After hogging the front page of newspapers and tabloids across Hong Kong for more than 3 weeks, Edison has finally been given some respite by the death of veteran actress Lydia Sum (沈殿霞), after her long and protacted battle with liver cancer.
- Meanwhile, all sorts of ridiculous stories are now appearing in the media to capitalise on the scandal. One of the most ridiculous ones we’ve heard is this story found in Xin Kuai Bao 《新快报》 which is supposedly from some Hong Kong astrologist: In their past lives, Cecilia Cheung (张柏芝) and Nicolas Tse (谢霆锋) were brothers in a family surnamed Shi during Republican China. Of the six siblings, “Cecilia” was the eldest and “Nicolas” was fourth. “Cecilia” would dote on his fourth brother a lot, and the “intimacy between the two would be what is known today as a Brokeback relationship” (“两人亲密的程度犹如现在的断背”)! Subsequently, “Nicolas” found a rich woman and even married into her family, and from then on, the two brothers grew further and further apart and never met again. Likewise, as the story goes, Cecilia and Nicolas are fated to meet each other in this life but not destined to be together (“有缘无分”). Geezus.
- Billboard advertisements for EPS (a Hong Kong bank card) featuring Edison Chen have been removed from prominent positions in Causeway Bay, Mong Kok and Hong Kong Station. Looks like this scandal is going to cost him lots and lots and lots of money.
And what’s the moral of the story, ladies and gentlemen? If you have any nude pictures on your laptop, forget about bringing it to the store for repairs if and when it does break down. Destroy it, or better still, burn it!
AP: Chinese Search Engine Censured
Xinhua: Baidu asked to apologize for spreading HK singer’s pornographic photos
Xinhua: China police apprehend 10 people over HK nude celebrity photos
SCMP: After 9 arrests, police still have not sent sex photos for ruling
New Paper: HK$500,000 for Edison’s hand
EastDay: Gillian Chung sings amid complaints
Xinhua: 沈殿霞成媒体热点 陈冠希风暴稍歇
New Express Daily: 高人爆料：张柏芝谢霆锋前世断背今生缘浅
Previously on Shanghaiist
- Edison Chen, Bobo Chan, Gillian Chung and Cecilia Cheung embroiled in Hong Kong’s biggest sex photo scandal ever
- The Edison Chen sex scandal rages on with more pictures released by mystery man
- Jolin Tsai, Maggie Q, Vincey Yeung sucked into Edison Chen scandal; Gillian Chung admits involvement