The Maglev station in Pudong has long been a breeding ground for taxi drivers eager to rip-off new arrivals. You step off the train, and into a den of thieves.
Things are looking up for visitors however, as a ring of eight drivers have been arrested and held for systematically ripping-off passengers they picked up at the Longyang Road station. More details here.
Tips for travellers:
- Always get a receipt for a taxi ride; if you overpay in a legitimate taxi, the firm whose phone number is on the receipt will refund double or triple the difference in fare.
- If you feel you’ve been cheated, the people at Shanghai Municipal Communication Bureau want to hear from you, call 65466671
- The meter is not broken, and you should always use it
- You can mute the sound on those f*cking video screens
- The vast majority of drivers are smashing, hardworking chaps / ladies