We passed by the Huxi Mosque on Changde Lu the other day, walked around and loved it. Here’s some history of the mosque that we found on ChinaCulture.org:
The Huxi Mosque is one of the famous mosques in Shanghai City. It was originally called Yaoshuinong Mosque and located at Xikang Road, and moved to Changde Road in April 1992. In 1914, Moslem paupers from Hubei, Shandong, Henan, and Anhui provinces lived together in the area near Xikang Road. For their religious needs, they rented a small room as the temporary worship place. In 1921, with the efforts of some religious people, they raised money and began the construction of the mosque. The construction was completed in 1922. There were three worship halls, three wing halls and one wing room. After the repair in 1935, the worship halls could accommodate 200 people. The mosque resumed religious activities in 1979.
In 1990, the construction on a new mosque at Changde Road started, and was completed in April 1992. The main body of the new mosque is a two-storeyed worship hall with double-heart-shaped arches and fan-shaped vaults. The minaret is over 25 meters high. The main worship hall has two floors, including men’s and women’s bathrooms, pulpits, the imam’s room, and reception rooms, etc. There are colorful fountains both in the front courtyard and the back courtyard. The courtyards are covered by six domes, three of which are decorated with a crescent sign each.
The Huxi Mosque is the first mosque that is rebuilt in Shanghai City after the founding of the People’s Republic of China.
Shanghai Huxi Mosque
1328 Changde Lu (常德路1328弄)