- The total number of reported HFMD cases has risen to 27,500 and the death toll has edged up only slightly to 34. 22 of the deaths were reported took place in Anhui.
- The situation in Fuyang, Anhui Province, which was the first city to experience a major outbreak of HFMD, says the Ministry of Health. For the first time, patients discharged in Fuyang has outnumbered those checking in to hospitals.
- Meanwhile, the number of reported cases in Zhejiang Province has risen from nearly 4,000 to 5,132 in just five days. Local health officials say though that the rise in the number of cases reported indicate an enhanced reporting system and not an outbreak per se.
- Xinhua continues to cite international health organisations and regional health ministers to assure people there is no need for a panic over the HFMD outbreak.
- The United States is now offering to help China in its fight against HFMD, and the Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt is now planning a trip to Beijing to discuss issues with Chinese health officials.
- As is now the standard practise everytime an epidemic happens, a doctor has been made the hero in the fight against HFMD. This time the honour falls on Dr Liu Xiaolin of Fuyang city. Meanwhile, one Beijing doctor that was previously held up as a SARS hero has now been accused of taking bribes.
Previously on Shanghaiist
HFMD infections balloon to 12,164 and now in Beijing
HFMD in at least six provinces and on the rise
Photo from Aileen Koh: Be on the lookout for these reddish spots on the hands and feet of your child.