US-based Golf Digest magazine has released its annual list of what it considers to be the China’s top ten golf courses. According to the magazine’s editors, if you’re looking for China’s best courses, forget Shanghai, Beijing or Shenzhen – go west to the laid-back city of Kunming.
Sheshan Golf Club was the only Shanghai course on Golf Digest’s list, coming in at third best. Kunming, capital of southwestern China’s Yunnan province took three of the top six spots on the list. Here are the results:
1. Spring City Golf & Lake Resort (Lake course), Kunming, Yunnan province
2. Spring City Golf & Lake Resort (Mountain course), Kunming, Yunnan province
3. Sheshan Golf Club, Shanghai
4. Shenzhen Golf Club, Shenzhen, Guangdong province
5. Tiger Beach Golf Links, Haiyang, Shandong province
6. Lakeview Golf Club, Kunming, Yunnan province
7. Jian Lake Golf & Country Club, Shaoxing, Zhejiang province
8. Trans Strait Golf Club, Fuzhou, Fujian province
9. Pine Valley Golf Resort & Country Club (Old course), Beijing
10. Mission Hills Golf Club (Norman course), Shenzhen, Guangdong province
Kunming is home to the top two courses – both at Spring City Golf and Lake Resort. Designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr, Spring City’s Lake course was named best in China, beating out Spring City’s other championship course, the Jack Nicklaus-designed Mountain course.
Kunming reappears at the number six spot on the list with Lakeview Golf Club, which has been the site of the Yunnan stops of the Omega China Tour as well as the Faldo Series Asia.
Shenzhen is the only other city with multiple courses in Golf Digest’s top ten – Shenzhen Golf Club was named number four, while Mission Hills Golf Club’s Greg Norman-designed course came in tenth.
For more China sports news, check out China Sports Today.
Image: Spring City Golf & Lake Resort