- The Olympics may be over but the Paralympic torch relay has only just begun. Olympic organisers have scrapped the international torch relay and pared it down to a domestic one that will go to only 11 cities, and involve 850 torchbearers.
- The fourth attack in Xinjiang province in less than two months came in a village in Jiashi County, killing another two policemen and wounding several others. Few details are known about the latest attack but an official at the Public Security Bureau has said eight Uyghurs were involved and that one man had been captured.
- ChinaSmack points us to an article on the website of the prestigious Tsinghua University, entitled, “Tsinghua President Gu Binglin — China university education is pouring shit into students’ minds.” Not long afterwards, the university announced that its website had been hacked into and the article faked. However, netizens are all full of praise for the points made in the article and wondering who actually wrote it.
- The 73 year old Dalai Lama has been admitted to hospital in India for “abdominal discomfort” and while his spokesperson has said there is no great cause for concern, China has launched a new attack denouncing his “lies”. Meanwhile, Costa Rican president and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Oscar Arias Sánchez has asked the Dalai Lama to postpone his trip.
- Zhang Danhong, deputy director of German broadcaster Deutsche Welle’s Chinese department, has been suspended from duty — allegedly for being too pro-Chinese. The matter has made its way to diplomatic circles. Read what the Chinese foreign ministry thinks about it.
Photo from UrbanNat