With less than two weeks to go to Shanghaiist’s 3rd Annual Halloween Party, it’s time to start thinking about what you will come dressed as because this time we’re serious — if you’re not in a costume of some sort, you’ll be labeled a terrorist! Here’s our trusty old list of places to shop for Halloween costumes and if anyone finds great new places to add to the list, please let us know at info AT shanghaiist DOT com:
- Holiday House: 1188 Panyu Lu, near Hongqiao lu (番禺路1188号，近虹桥路). Tel: 64477189, Open 9:30-6:00 pm (Sucky hours!). A kind of one-stop-shop for costumes for kids and adults and decorations. Staff speak English and can be pretty surly.
- Chain stores like Carrefour and Hola, with a second location here, have a limited selection of Halloween supplies.
- Party Monster is a place Shanghaiist has heard about, but never visited.
- Finally, if you’re throwing a pre-Halloween party — before heading out to Shanghaiist’s bash — cheap decorations can be found at 338 Fuyou Lu (53067671 or 13661958246) and several other small shops in the Yu Yuan area. There are also some big multi-story “crafts” markets on the same road that sell Halloweenesque items (or at least what we would only use for the holiday). Just be ready to fight the crowds.
- Old standby markets like Qipu Lu (at its intersection with Henan Lu) could also be an inspiration. We wish we went there before our 80s party.