Shanghaiist recently enjoyed a few nonfat egg nogs with DJ El Nomo, who promises to make the Shanghaiist/Cotton’s holiday party “the wildest holiday blowout ever held at Cotton’s on Xinhua Lu.” A tall task indeed. You may recognize El Nomo from such weblogs as Shanghai Bananas. And, of course, he is ranked No. 1 worldwide in the controversial Gothamist DJ Rankings. The following is a transcript of our unfiltered discussion with Asia’s very own wizard of wax.
We all know Run DMC’s “Christmas in Hollis” is the best holiday song ever. What’s No. 2?
“Zat You, Santa Claus?” By Louis Armstrong. It’s funky and it’s Louie Armstrong. What more can you ask for?
What holiday song is a guilty pleasure of yours?
Wham’s “Last Christmas.” This song has a sort of Pavlovian effect on me. Whenever I hear it, I salivate for beer and karaoke with Japanese businessmen.
One of our favorite holiday songs that few people seem to have heard of is “Christmas Wrapping” by The Waitresses. Do you have any hidden holiday gems you want to share?
Um, no. Sorry, I don’t have any secret weapon Xmas jams to blow people’s minds and cause dance floor pandemonium … except maybe Alvin and the Chipmunks “The Christmas Song,” but I don’t think that’s too secret. What I like about this song is that they’re singing in those funny voices. That was so futuristic and hi-tech when it came out. Sort of.
Sorry, just thought of probably my only secret-weapon Xmas song: “Back Door Santa” by Clarence Carter. This is the song originally sampled for “Christmas in Hollis” and it’s dirty and awesome.
What can attendees of the Shanghaiist/Cotton’s holiday party expect from your set Saturday night?
Mostly death metal. Lots of Black Sabbath, Metallica, Pantera and whatnot. Psyche! I guess I’ll be playing next-level, game-changing Christmas music that will have everyone drinking egg nog and getting in the holiday spirit like it’s Jesus’ birthday.
That, and James Brown.
Can we ask what you’ll be wearing?
An elf suit. If you give me one. Otherwise, uh, jeans and a T-shirt? Do I have to wear a Santa hat? Because I don’t want to. Santa is make believe anyways, let’s face it. So yeah, if given elf suit, will wear it. Otherwise, maybe a gold chain made out of mistletoe? Where can you get that stuff around here?
A Very Shanghai Christmas on …
Shanghaiist/Cotton’s Holiday Party: Get your photo taken with Santa!
Shanghaiist/Cotton’s Holiday Party: The weather outside is …. delightful
Party details and flyer after the jump …
Here are the party details:
- What: A Very Shanghai Christmas, a holiday party presented by Shanghaiist and Cotton’s
- When: Saturday, December 20, 8 pm ’til late
- Where: The new Cotton’s at 294 Xinhua Lu, near Dingxi Lu (新华路294号,近定西路)
- Music: Early on, all your holiday favorites. Later on, DJ El Nomo (of Bananas fame) on the holiday wheels of steel.
- Santa: He’ll be there! Get your photo taken on his lap! For free! (Professional portraits taken by Stephen Yang.)
- Special Drinks: Holiday-inspired cocktails and beers from American Craft Beer Partners.
- Movies: Watch some holiday classics!
- Fireplaces: Two of them!
- Outdoor Seating: In December? You bet. Assuming no rain, portable heaters will be brought out to the garden.
- Entry: RMB 50, includes one beer from American Craft Beer Partners.