- Japanese department store Isetan has shut down its Huating outlet in Shanghai, the first outlet it opened in China.
- China has now quietly resumed the blocking of websites that were unblocked during the Olympic season.
- China is preparing to send navy ships to the Gulf of Aden to help fight pirates off the Somali coast.
- The United Nations has played down fears over an outbreak of bird flu in China, saying a few cases in winter did not amount to “a real concern”.
- Two alleged Uyghur terrorists have been sentenced to death for an attack earlier that killed 17 people in Xinjiang province earlier this year.
- Chinese auto brand BYD has rolled out China’s first plug-in hybrid car.
- Zeng Jinyan, the wife of jailed human rights activist Hu Jia has accepted the EU Parliament’s Sakharov Prize on behalf of her husband via online video. Meanwhile, human rights groups have called on China to ensure Hu Jia’s access to healthcare.
Photo from fateless_gypsy