Last week a 19 year old girl in Beijing died of bird flu (avian flu) in China’s first reported case in about a year. Beijing Notebook wrote a list of tips for preventing infection by bird flu based on a distribution list from a doctor of the German Embassy in Beijing. Go to www.Beijing.diplo.de for a Chinese translation.
Tips from Beijing Notebook:
1. Wash your hands.
2. Avoid contact with living and dead chicken/birds/poultry (including feathers, dust, droppings) and avoid to have any bird at home in a cage and avoid bird markets. Note: It is not proven, that you can get infected by eating chicken/poultry meat.
3. If you can’t avoid to eat poultry or egg, follow these cooking instructions: (my opinion: don’t eat chicken or egg in a restaurant as you cannot control if they take all measures!)
4. Have separate working bench, plates and knives for poultry and vegetables.
5. Wash plates and knives with soap before using it for other dishes.
6. The cooking temperature should be at leat 70°C (no pink meat.).
7. Wash eggs.
8. Don’t buy eggs that have dropping marks or cracks
9. Don’t buy meat that seems too cheap
10. Freezing the meat does not kill the virus !
11. Cover your nose when sneezing or coughing and explain to the children how to handle sneezing and washing hands.