Yes, we do! The rumors are true. Shanghai will finally have its first, real Gay Pride day on June13, 2009. While Hong Kong held their inaugural pride parade last year, this summer marks the first time mainland China will have a large-scale Pride event.
Unfortunately, LGBTers and fag hags will not be taking to the streets to celebrate Shanghai’s fabulous gay community. However, there will be an outdoors party hosted at an, as of yet, undisclosed French Concession venue. Think street festival/block party-style Gay Pride – still outrageous, but on private property.
Although it’s a work in process, Shanghai Fag Hag has the inside scoop…Pride week will include a myriad of events like:
- Drag queens (some may even be flying in from the land down under)
- LGBT panel discussions
- Kung fu demonstrations
- BBQ (Meat, meat, and more meat…)
- Gay films
- Literary readings
- Health info
- Sports competitions (Swimming and volleyball)
- LGBT NGO info
- And, of course, copious amounts of alcohol and dancing.
Will fairies fly in from Beijing, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia – or even further off places – for Shanghai Pride? Is this the baby step Shanghai needs before it can come marching out of the closet with an actual parade? Only time will tell! And we’ll be here to drop the knowledge when it comes.
For those who want to help organize, sponsor, or volunteer during Shanghai Pride week, you can join Shanghai LGBT’s yahoo group or email shanghaifaghag (at) gmail.com
In other gay news:
- LC aka ‘the other gay nightclub’ has closed.
- Gay movies are shown every Sunday at Frangipani from 4-6pm.
- Shanghai Gay & Lesbian Singers is a group that has just started up. If you want to join, get in touch with Rainbow League.
- Sadly, we are down to one lesbian bar in a city of 18 million people. Er Ling Ling and 1st on the Bund have both shuttered their doors.
(Full-disclosure: Shanghai Fag Hag is one of the organizers for Shanghai Pride 2009)
Photo by Kevin Coles