The summer is just a month or two away and some of you might know of several starry-eyed students (or, these days, out-of-work professionals) looking for something to do. Well, here’s a thought: Why not get them to apply for an internship at Shanghaiist?
Internship position: Editorial intern
Shanghaiist is looking for interns with a keen interest in journalism, new media and blogging. They must possess excellent people skills, great phone etiquette and a talent for producing crisp, concise copy. Interns will be expected to possess a wide variety of interests as Shanghaiist covers a wide spectrum of life in Shanghai/China, including: arts, culture, sports, music, food, parties, events, business, human rights, politics, environment, LGBT issues, religion, technology, etc.
To apply, send an e-mail containing your resume to us: info at shanghaiist dot com
Hit the jump for job qualifications, responsibilities and the like!
• Basic reporting experience
• Experience in writing and maintaining a blog
• Familiarity with or willingness to learn the workings of the Movable Type blog software
• Familiarity with or willingness to learn basic HTML
• Familiarity with or willingness to operate Adobe Photoshop, or some other picture editing software
• Good aesthetic sense
• An excellent command of grammar, spelling, punctuation and style
• Extremely detail oriented, organized, able to work under deadlines
• Proficiency in Mandarin, though not required, will be a plus.
• Fact-checking, copy-editing of stories submitted by our team of freelance contributors
• Research on the internet
• Updating and maintaining the Shanghaiist events calendar
• Pitching of new story ideas
• Conducting of interviews
• Representing Shanghaiist at parties, events and launches
• Liaison with PR and media contacts
• Coordination with ad sales / event executives
• Assistance with event planning
The Shanghaiist Internship promises to be a rewarding experience as interns will:
• Gain exposure into all aspects of online publishing
• Gain understanding of the benefits and concerns of reader interactivity
• Gain familiarity with daily news cycle and the ability to demonstrate solid editorial judgment
• Be expected to not just write blog posts but also have the opportunity to take over some editorial responsibilities
• Graduate with a portfolio of bylines that will aid in future employment in the industry