Take up the IDAHO Challenge from Gays.com on Vimeo.
No, we aren’t confusing Iowa (go gay marriage!) with Idaho. We’re talking about International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia (IDAHO). Gays.com and the IDAHO committee recently kicked off their ‘Idaho Challenge’ to the world from Shanghai.
Currently, there are over 85 countries where being gay is a crime. To show their support for the UN’s new Declaration on Decriminalization of Homosexuality and to celebrate IDAHO, Gays.com wants LGBT people all over the world to get in front of a video camera, say their name and where they come from, and how proud they are to be gay/ lesbian/ bisexual/ transgender. They’ve already shot a demo video featuring former-Shanghaiist editor Kenneth Tan (now at Gays.com), the legendary Hannah and Henry from Shanghai LGBT, and other of the city’s fabulous residents including Henri, Rebecca, and more.
Their goal is to have users send in their individual videos and release them all on May 17, 2009, the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia. So if you are LGB or T, get your web cam set up and start rolling!
More info at http://gays.com/idaho
OTHER GAY NEWS
- Shanghai Pride has found a home for their Saturday bash at Cotton’s Xinhua Rd location. Block off June 7th-14th, 2009 now for the festivities. Gay Pride still needs volunteers if you have time, money, and/or connections. Contact Shanghai LGBT or shanghaifaghag at gmail dot com
- ‘Gay Movie and a Drink’ this Sunday featuring “Eating Out 2: Sloppy Seconds”. We won’t even comment on that title.
- China Daily loves gay people! Or at least that’s Shanghai Fag Hag’s interpretation of two articles in one day from them. Gay couples say ‘I do’ in symbolic marriages and Living Free. Thanks Chou Doufu for the tips!
- Shanghai has sprouted another gay venue. Studio 2006 is dark, steamy, and for men only, sorry lalas.
- Kathleen’s 5 will host their 4th annual Aids Charity event on the 16th May, 2009.