What if the U.S. broke up (much like the Soviet Union did in the early 1990s)? According to one Russian professor, it means that Governer Ahnold may need to learn Chinese.
Igor Panarin, a former KGB analyst and popular patron of Russian talk shows, has allegedly drawn up a map of what America will look like after its “moral and economic collapse.” According to Panarin, after a second American civil war and the collapse of the dollar – due to “mass immigration, economic decline and moral degradation” – the United States would break into half a dozen regional sub-entities that would then somehow be taken over by foreign powers.
* Alaska would revert to Russia, and Hawaii would become Chinese or Japanese.
* The West Coast (the three Pacific states, joined with Idaho, Nevada, Utah and Arizona in a Californian Republic), would fall to China or at least be under Chinese influence.
* A Texas Republic, which would also include New Mexico, Oklahoma and all the other traditionally southern states (except the Carolinas, the Virginias, Kentucky and Tennessee), would similarly be either directly or indirectly under the sway of Mexico.
* The aforementioned southern exceptions would join the northeastern states in forming a bloc that might join the European Union.
* The rest – all midwestern and western states – would be at Canada’s mercy.
Yes, it’s completely a crack pot theory for any number of reasons (one off the top of our heads: Can you imagine Canadians actually wanting to deal with Detroit?), but it’s also kind of fun to think of a West that’s gone to China. We imagine that most parts of California would look… exactly the same.
And when will this breakup happen? In mid-2010! Hey, isn’t that about the time of the Expo? We guess if America ceases to exist by that point, then it’d be harder for the Chinese people to have their feelings hurt by the absence of a U.S. pavilion. Silver linings!
Source: Strange Maps