How hot is it in Shanghai? So hot that a car spontaneously combusted last week. At around 3:30pm on July 9, a Volkwagen Passat began smoking and caught on fire at the corner of Changde Lu and Changle Lu, according to Xinmin. By the time the Xinmin reporter got to the car, the fire had already been extinguished. But from the photos of the aftermath, it looks like the fire did a number on the front of the vehicle. The tow company said that the car likely combusted because of circuit failure. As a PSA, perhaps you should keep your car out of the sun.