Photo by Remko Tanis
- Abbey Road, the vaguely Beatles-themed pub which shut down for just a little while to “refresh,” will be opening up again on January 7 AND they’re extending their daily happy hour to 8pm. Opening party is this Friday (you get one free drink if you go).
- There’s been significantly more dark ales and microbrews popping up in China, which means (glee!) we might finally be getting some beer culture. We’ll believe it when we see something better than Reeb in the Kuaidi. [CNNgo]
- To make up for ragging on the USA Pavilion Expo team yesterday, here’s a cool little fact about them: One of the Shanghai Expo Inc. trifecta, Nick Winslow, supervised the special effects for Star Trek – The Movie and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. [Urbanatomy]
- Holy crap, a man in Xuhui District fell off a building on Monday, decapitating himself when he plunged through a glass roof. So far, police have been unable to identify him. [Shanghai Daily]
- CityWeekend has rounded up a bunch of iPhone apps that are worth having to navigate Shanghai. While some of the reccs seem a little iffy (Google Maps? China Daily? Really?), most are pretty spot on. [CityWeekend]