With Cary Hooper gone, we are now in the market for a new Junior Editor… and it could be YOU. Sure, the pay’s not the greatest, but it’s fun work and a nice way to explore the city perhaps a little more than you normally would.
Job position: PT Junior Editor
Shanghaiist is looking for a junior editor with a keen interest in journalism, new media, blogging and, of course, Shanghai and China. They must possess an intense curiosity, people skills, phone etiquette and the ability to write and edit articles at a breakneck pace. They are expected to possess a wide variety of interests as Shanghaiist covers subjects in Shanghai/China ranging from arts, culture, music, parties, food, and events to businesses, human rights, politics, LGBT issues and technology.
To apply, send an e-mail containing your resume to us: info at shanghaiist dot com
Qualifications and other info after the jump.
• Proficiency in Mandarin – fluent conversational skills
• Intimate knowledge of Shanghai – preferably someone who has lived here for a while
• Reporting experience (at least with one publication)
• Desire to do original research and reporting on the city
• Experience in writing and maintaining a blog
• Knowledge of and interest in China-related news, issues and current events – candidate should already have several China-related news sources and blogs on their daily feeds.
• Familiarity with or willingness to learn the workings of the Movable Type blog software
• Familiarity with basic HTML
• Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and other picture editing software
• Good aesthetic sense
• An excellent command of grammar, spelling, punctuation and style
• Extremely detail oriented, organized, able to work under deadlines
• Fact-checking, copy-editing of stories submitted by our team of freelance contributors
• Writing roughly twelve posts a week
• Research on the internet
• Pitching of new story ideas
• Conducting of interviews
• Representing Shanghaiist at parties, events and launches
• Liaison with PR and media contacts
• Coordination with ad sales / event executives
• Assistance with event planning
• 2000RMB per month
• Other perks