In a seeming Schrödinger’s cat scenario, Chinese officials have refuted a Reuters report claiming that China is in negotiations with Google. Because the back-and-forth claims are a little tricky to follow, we broke it down to a he-said-she-said format.
On Friday, Reuters claimed Industry and Information Minister Li Yizhong told an “indeterminate parliamentary body” that the government has been in talks with Google over an alleged China-originating cyber-attack earlier this year.
The government claimed that Google never even filed a complaint…i.e., there were no talks.
Reuters reported that the government simply is waiting for more information, in order to prosecute the alleged hackers.
Google has not officially commented at all.
So there you have it, folks. Google may or may not be in talks with China over security breaches, Google may or may not have even complained about the hack, and Google may or may not stay in China.
We may or may not be confused.
Via betanews, image via Global Voices