To raise awareness, the Hollywood Sign was temporarily covered up February | Photo by therealquarrygirl via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- LAist was delighted to report that Hugh Hefner came to the rescue with a bundle of cash to help stop developers from digging into the land near the iconic Hollywood Sign.
- Chicagoist saw the debate over Arizona’s new controversial immigration law reach their front yard in the form of a boycott of the Cubs games against the Arizona Diamonbacks.
- Shanghaiist celebrated the opening of the Obama Club and of the Shanghai Expo.
- Torontoist jumped headfirst into the big cartographic craze of the 1870s: hand-drawn bird’s-eye maps of Toronto.
- SFist wondered if Portland and Seattle are the new suburbs of San Francisco.
- Phillyist, spurred by a Twitter conversation with author Buzz Bissinger, called out the local blogger who’d referred to the Pulitzer Prize winner as a “crank.”
- Gothamist, after nearly two years, learned that the NYPD cop who shoved a cyclist during a Critical Mass ride was found guilty of falsifying police records (but not assault) which didn’t make anyone happy, except the cyclist.
- Londonist went sci-fi crazy, spotting alien objects around town. Back down to Earth, they witnessed the opening of a new Tube line and photographed some sensational outfits at Alternative Fashion Week.