A five-year-old boy from Nantong, Jiangsu province who vomited and lost consciousness after eating dried fish fillets was admitted to the Shanghai Children’s Medical Center on May 9, where he was diagnosed with and treated for puffer fish poisoning, according to a Xinhua report. The boy likely consumed puffer fish that had been accidentally mixed with the dried fish fillets during production. But why was puffer fish even present during food production? Although considered a delicacy by many in China, it remains illegal to sell puffer fish in markets or restaurants. Last month, the Shanghai Food and Drug Administration even rejected a proposal to allow puffer fish to be sold in specially licensed restaurants, due to the fish’s toxicity. We haven’t tried the fish ourselves, and don’t really want to.