We mentioned it briefly in our Pencil This In, but we figured we’d give it a louder shout out too: tomorrow is our monthly Shanghaiist Scrabble Night, where all you wizened wordsmiths can pit your wits against each other on our especially oversized Shanghaiist Scrabble board!
Anyhow, those of you who’ve been a fan of our scrabble nights for the past half year know the deal, but here’s a rules rehash for newbies:
- Each Happy Hour drink gets you five tiles. You can wait until you’ve got a couple orders under your belt – heck, we’re not putting a limit on how many tiles you can come up to the board with – but just know that someone might take that triple word score from you if you wait too long.
- We’ll be using the SOWPODS dictionary. If you don’t know what that means, don’t worry too much about it.
- You can come up to the board as many times as you like between 6pm and 10pm. But you can’t make words consecutively, you’ll have to wait until at least one other person has tried first.
- Team up if you want. We don’t have a limit for how many friends you can beg for scrabble tiles, though that 250RMB voucher gets significantly smaller the more people you rope in.
- The person (or team) with the highest cumulative score at the end of the Happy Hour wins!
What: Shanghaiist Scrabble Happy Hour
Where: Cotton’s on Xinhua Lu, 294 Xinhua Lu, near Fanyu Lu (新华路294号, 近番禺路)
When: Tuesday, July 27, 6 to 10 p.m.
Drinks: 2 for 1 on house wines, house pours and Carlsberg drafts