Did finding out the sanitation situation not scare you off crayfish? Then how about muscle degeneration? Dozens of people in Nanjing were struck down with a strange form of food poisoning from our little lobster friends: rhabdomyolysis.
The Nanjingren were hospitalized after suffering unbearable muscle pains shortly after eating crayfish. Symptoms have included sore joints, a sore back, pale complexion, and the rather peculiar ‘soy sauce urine’.
Although doctors were sure that crayfish was the root cause of the patients illness, the strange manifestation when compared to ‘typical’ food poisoning baffled them. One doctor, a would-be Sherlock Holmes, took to the street markets of Nanjing to try and find the cause. After making a few inquiries he concluded that the believed the cause was due to the crayfish being washed in a ‘shrimp washing powder’; aimed at making the crayfish look clean and fresh.
The powder; an industrial acid, is formed with ‘oxalic acid’ which is 10,000 times stronger than your average vinegar.
Yeesh, all the crayfish scares this summer are enough to put us off the lobster altogether… only it’s so delicious! Perhaps, considering all the problems come from other people washing your xiaolongxia, maybe you should just try cooking, and cleaning, it at home instead. Here’s a great recipe to get you started!