Job position: PT Junior Editor at Shanghaiist
Shanghaiist is looking for a junior editor with a keen interest in journalism, new media, blogging and, of course, Shanghai and China. They must possess an intense curiosity, people skills, phone etiquette and the ability to write and edit articles at a breakneck pace. They are expected to possess a wide variety of interests as Shanghaiist covers subjects in Shanghai/China ranging from arts, culture, music, parties, food, and events to businesses, human rights, politics, LGBT issues and technology.
To apply, send an e-mail containing your resume to us: info at shanghaiist dot com
Qualifications and other info after the jump.
• Proficiency in Mandarin: ability to conduct interviews as well as scour Chinese news sources
• Intimate knowledge of Shanghai – preferably someone who has lived here at least a year
• Reporting experience (at least with one publication)
• Experience in writing and maintaining a blog
• Must have familiarity with English social media (twitter, facebook) and be willing to learn to operate Chinese social media (sina weibo, QQ)
• Knowledge of and interest in China-related news, issues and current events – candidate should already have several China-related news sources and blogs on their daily feeds.
• Familiarity with or willingness to learn the workings of the Movable Type blog software, basic HTML, Photoshop (and/or other picture editing software)
• Good aesthetic sense
• An excellent command of grammar, spelling, punctuation and style
• Detail oriented, organized, able to work under deadlines
• Fact-checking, copy-editing of stories submitted by our team of freelance contributors
• Writing roughly twelve posts a week (posting hours are flexible)
• Representing Shanghaiist at parties, events and launches
• Pitching new story ideas
• Conducting of interviews
• Liaison with PR and media contacts
• Assistance with event planning
• 2000RMB per month
• Other perks