In a laundry list of accomplishments dated Tuesday, the government said it arrested 469 hackers, resolved 180 cases of computer crimes, and closed down 14 websites as part of a move to clamp down on hacking in China.
Officials called hacking “a severe problem” but hold up, it’s only a serious issue when the government isn’t responsible for the hacking? Ah, I see how it is. Yes, the announcement published on the website of China’s Ministry of Public Security chose to discuss only the hacking that originated in China and targeted Chinese victims, leaving out accusations that the Chinese government backed hackers to attack foreign companies and governments including the US Pentagon, Microsoft, Dell and most famously Google which left the China market hastily.
It’s interesting timing for the arrests since the spotlight returned earlier this week to the Google hacking fiasco. New data from WikiLeaks showed that the attacks on Google had been ordered by top government members though the official government response to deny any involvement in cyberattacks hasn’t changed.
Still, some Internet users expressed doubt over the latest announcement’s credibility, because some of the websites that were said to be closed appeared to be still accessible Wednesday.”Obviously the content mentioned in this report contradicts the facts,” said one commenter on www.mybr.org, an online forum on computer security. “Several websites mentioned in this report are still up,” another commenter said.
That’s strange – they seemed to know how to shut down the China blogger conference site pretty darn well.