All photos from our featured photos of the day. You can see all of them here.
It was an interesting start to June. A top Xinhua official surprised us by giving a talk to university students explaining how the state media manipulates it’s news stories – balancing accuracy with the need for an appearance of a hexie society.
Oh and if you’re browsing this site and obviously you are right now if you’re reading this, know that you’re in good company because Colbert reads us too! (Or at least his writers do.) We got some serious bragging rights when The Daily Show gave us a mention for our Foxconn coverage.
Visitors continued to stream into the expo which was well underway, including K-pop phenomenon Super Juniors except most visitors don’t create a deathly stampede of crazed fans. And remember how Shanghai forced some of its residents to clear out to make way for the expo? Well, they started evicting people to make way for Disneyland too.
The Big Stories From Around China
Nearly all of our top stories came from the southern provinces. Flooding in that region caused upwards of 199 deaths and police pulled off the biggest drug bust ever in China’s history when they seized 1033 kgs of heroine in Guangzhou. Also, this is why we love Southern Weekly: It did a fascinating feature on McRefugees. You know, the people you’ve witnessed sleeping at the 24 hour McDonalds when you stumble in at 4am.
We rejoiced as a spate of sites like Vimeo and WordPress suddenly were unblocked – though it didn’t include any of the big three: Youtube, Facebook, or Twitter.
Check THIS out
- Most of us will probably never make it to North Korea, so we settled for poking around their pavilion
- Considering putting down some roots in China? We discuss how to get a China green card
- Kommune started their monthly free wine tasting
- Studio Rouge reopened with a new pop art exhibition
- Throw some tomatoes at the Karate Kid and the John Cusack, Gong Li flick Shanghai
- Chinese World Cup fans take the art of playing hooky to another level andbuy physician-signed sick leave notes online
- You know that your inner 8 year old/Star Wars nerd needs this real life, Shanghai-made lightsaber.
- .中国 becomes a web domain!
- A few creative Tsingtao ads that market to the Chinese in English
- Let’s hope you don’t ever to look out your airplane window and see this
We got tons of good shots coming out of the expo: People settling down for a nap all over the expo grounds and evidence of handicap line abusers.