President Hu and Obama, in a meeting in London, in April 2009. Via Xinhua.
There’s a whole lotta action going on ahead of President Hu Jintao’s upcoming visit to the United States. Here’s what’s happening:
- China is set to go on a charm offensive, with numerous TV adverts that will coincide with Hu’s visit.
- US President Obama meets with five advocates for human rights in China at the White House.
- Tibetan Americans are lobbying Obama to raise the Tibet issue.
- 17 Taiwanese-American organisations plan to hold demonstrations as Hu meets Obama.
- Question of the Day: Was Hu genuinely unaware of the stealth fighter jet test flight?
- US Commerce Secretary Gary Locke calls on China to respect intellectual property laws.
- China continues to defend its yuan policy.