Photo by le niners.
A few links to start off your day:
- Shanghai Metro is running a pink train on Line 2 today to mark International Women’s Day, but gentlemen, you’re welcome aboard this train too!
- What’s the best gift to offer a single Chinese woman? Why, chopsticks holders of course — because “kuai jia” sounds like “get married soon!”
- Not so good news — breast cancer rates in Shanghai have risen by almost a third since the 1970s. The rise is due mainly to a shift to a fatty and low-fibre diet.
- Popular Shanghai TV show mediator, Auntie Bai, recently got into trouble for making comments about how girls should stay virgins until they’ve married. Now she’s backtracked and pointed out where she heard the peculiar idea from: an American!
- More and more Chinese women are opting out of the workforce to become housewives after they get married. Unfortunately, it’s usually because their careers are overly stressful, family unfriendly, and tend to be going nowhere anyhow.