We totally dig what they’re doing over at World of Chinese these days: serving up a daily list of China’s trending topics on Baidu and Sina Weibo, in Chinese and English, with full explanation for each topic. Charlie Custer of China Geeks is behind the lists, informative and insightful as always. Super duper interesting, and an excellent way to stay up to date with what’s being talked about online in China.
The Baidu top ten are published also on Baidu Beat. And you can look at plenty more Sina Weibo trends on the Sina Weibo Square (in Chinese.)
Here’s a taster from the World of Chinese list, which you can get easily by subscribing to their RSS feed or following them on Twitter:
Baidu Search Top 10:
1. 赌王女儿包养艺人 Dǔ wáng nǚér bāoyǎng yìrén – He Hongqiao, the daughter of a famous HK gambling kingpin, is allegedly dating an artist, who (maybe as a result of their dating) is suddenly wealthy. He, however, denies that that has anything to do with it, stating that love can’t be bought with money.
2. 70年产权房奴 70 Nián chǎnquán fáng nú – People’s Congress rep (and Wahaha board chair) Zong Qinghou said the 70 year housing ownership policy is making a generation of Chinese into housing slaves. (Property ownership in China is actually a a seventy-year lease; at the end of those seventy years the property ownership defaults back to the State, at least legally speaking. However, it’s too early to say for sure what will actually happen as this system has only existed for a few decades, and no private property has reached the 70-year limit yet).
3. 锯末胶囊 Jùmò jiāonáng – Hubei criminals have been caught counterfeiting and selling 201 different kinds of “medicine,” the pills were filled with sawdust. They were marked and marketed to look like popular and well-known medicine brands.
Sina Weibo Top Ten:
1. 日本人 Rìběn rén – people are talking about the earthquake in Japan, and Chinese people’s feelings towards Japanese people.
2. 核电站 Hédiànzhàn – people are talking about the reactors at risk of melting down in Japan after the quake.
3. 演唱会 Yǎnchàng huì – people are talking about a variety of concerts.
4. 情人节 Qíngrén jié – today (3/14) is “White Valentine’s Day,” a day to give gifts to admirers you like who gave you something on regular Valentine’s Day (2/14) .