Rumours are rife that a man from Cixi, Zhejiang has died from an overdose of iodised salt after he consumed large amounts of the food seasoning to protect himself from the radiation. The Cixi government has brushed the reports aside as “rumours”. Jiang Yong of China News Agency writes yesterday:
The recent report of a Cixi, Zhejiang resident dying from an overdose of iodised salt has attracted great attention from various quarters of society. In response, Zhao Ke, the director of the propaganda office in Cixi told this reporter this afternoon (Mar 18) over the phone, “Those reports are all rumours.”
Word had it that the man from Cixi, Zhejiang, fearing that the radiation from Japan would cause bodily harm, allegedly consumed great amounts of iodised salt on the 16th. Family members found him passed out and sent him to the hospital, but unfortunately, they were unable to save him and he passed away. This was supposedly the first death caused by the Japan earthquake in China.
Because Zhao Ke, the director of the propaganda office in Cixi, had his mobile phone turned off all afternoon, this reporter was only able to reach him at 5pm this afternoon. Zhao gave a curt response, indicating the reports were all rumours and that he had no further details, before hanging up. All subsequent attempts to reach him were in vain as he did not answer his call. [translation by Shanghaiist]