Photo of Mao Livehouse concert by 2 Dogs // From Shanghaiist Flickr pool
- Desperate women have been swindled out of tens of thousands of yuan by a man posing to be a potential husband, who in reality was already married and had three kids. Local police have warned single women to take care.
- New York University has started construction on its second major international campus here in Shanghai. The teaching will remain the same as the campuses in New York and Abu Dhabi as the university has been given independent status. No Chinese censorship?
- Apparently there is too much music in Shanghai, so much so that audience numbers are dwindling. A lack of motivation and self-promotion is to blame. It seems there can be too much of a good thing after all.
- We offer you one last chance to say goodbye to another Chimney about to be pulled down in the Yangpu district.
- A new, space-saving invention has hit the Chinese market… for the dead: Space saving burials. You can have 99.5% of your ashes put out at sea and the rest shoved in a matchbox buried in the ground. Makes tomb sweeping a lot easier, we suppose.
- Coming soon to a theatre near you: 19 plays by British novelist Agatha Christie have been given permission to be performed in China.
By Paul Hickey