By Bo Hershey
Photo by Darth_Panda// Shanghaiist Flickr Pool
- Yet another two expats ran into problems with their employment/residence permits. Read their stories here.
- Mayor Han Zheng recently brought transparency to Shanghai municipal politics with the recent disclosure of car services for government officials. This move by Shanghai’s leading executive is seen as the first stage in a series of government reforms.
- A Chinese couple was arrested for selling virtual money on the online game, Dragon Nest. Police became suspicious when gamers began trading real money for worthless fantasy currency.
- Shanghai’s Water Cube, the Oriental Sports Center will be officially open in July, hosting the 14th World Swimming Championships. The complex will consist of three buildings built on a man-made lake connected to the Huangpu. Officials believe the facility will be the premier center for athletic competition in the city.
- Shanghai Railway Museum reconstructs the city’s historic railway station giving visitors glimpse back in time. The museum has become a place of education for China’s younger generation who have only known high speed trains and have no understanding of the past.