Photo by Daniel Hjort.
A few links to start off your day:
- Shenzhen expels 80,000 people deemed “high-risk threats” — former inmates, vagrants and mentally ill — ahead of the upcoming Summer Universiade.
- Premier Wen Jiabao: China’s willing to buy more Spanish debt.
- Zhang Bingsheng, the former mayor of Taiyuan, has been sacked for sending anonymous text messages to Shanxi deputies after he was not listed as a candidate for vice governor.
- Evan Osnos has a short, thoughtful piece on why Ai Weiwei matters.
- Tibetan writer Tsering Woeser: Replaying the film “Serf” won’t brainwash anyone!
- Beijing’s Shouwang church vows to hold more outdoor services.