The past 24 hours has seen a downright disturbing series of explosions and fires in factories, plants, and mines across China:
- A fire in a four-story clothing factory in Beijing early this morning killed 17 and injured at least 24 in yet another tragedy caused by illegal construction practices. Those killed were all migrant workers.
- Rescue workers are scrambling to reach eight miners trapped underground after an explosion rocked their facility in Guizhou this morning.
- An explosion in a pesticide plant in Guangxi caused three known injuries. Fires engulfed 3,000 meters and two warehouses. Two harmful chemicals have been confirmed on site, and authorities have cordoned off the factory awaiting further tests.
- Another two people were killed when an oil tank exploded in a factory in Wenzhou, Zhejiang. Welding and oil do not mix.
- Investigations are now underway to determine the cause of an explosion that killed nine in a chemical plant in Heilongjiang province last Wednesday.