Photo by Davide Martini.
A few links to start off your day:
- The International Table Tennis Federation is set to tighten rules on players to represent new countries after relocating because the widespread presence of Chinese players on national teams around the world “hindered the development of local talent”.
- Yum Brands, the company behind KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut, has acquired Chinese hot pot chain Little Sheep.
- Lang Lang, China’s most famous pianist today, has a ‘Tiger Dad’. At the age of nine, his dad told him to take his own life when his piano teacher fired him from the conservatory for “having no talent”.
- Yahoo, which owns a 43% of Alibaba and about 40% of Alipay, is unhappy that Alibaba has transferred ownership of Alipay to another company without its approval.
- To shame food safety violators, China is now giving the press more freedom to investigate.
- Taiwan too is now trying to project its “soft power” around the world to step out of China’s shadow.
- A new species of dinosaurs has been discovered in eastern Shandong province and it’s been named the “Zhuchengtyrannus magnus”.