Photo by Peijin Chen.
A few links to start off your day:
- Parts of Inner Mongolia said to be under martial law as ethnic Mongolians protest over the death of a herder in a hit-and-run accident. The provincial party chief has stepped in to placate public anger.
- Another day, another land grab self-immolation — this time in Hunan’s Hengshi village.
- China’s two largest lakes, the Dongting and Poyang Lakes, are shrinking dramatically with the lowest levels of rainfall since 1961 around the Yangtze River.
- Police have taken away the son and several acquaintances of Fuzhou bomber Qian Mingqi for questioning.
- Taobao has invaded the brick-and-mortar retail world with the launch of a five-storey home furnishings showroom in Beijing.
- Hong Kong has found radioactive iodine in its fish supply.
- Over 50 Apple tablet challengers have converged at Computex, the world’s second-largest computer show, in Taipei, Taiwan.