Why these bullfrogs all be coughing in our food?! Several frogs that were purchased in Shanghai’s seafood wholesale markets have been found to be carrying cholera-causing bacteria. The disease was first detected in frogs in Kunshan, and was traced back to Shanghai’s Tongchuan market in Pudong. From Shanghai Daily:
More than 400 kilograms of bullfrogs were removed from the shelves at the Mingquan Bullfrog Firm and Guangbao Bullfrog Firm in the Tongchuan Road market.
The frogs were not raised in Shanghai, but came from southeast China’s Fujian Province, officials with the Shanghai Industrial and Commercial Administrative Bureau said.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention is currently waiting for test results, and says it will take steps to keep the contaminated frogs out of our dinner bowls. They also claim the bacteria exists only in frog livers, and is usually killed when cooked adequately (are all those sad-faced sanitation ratings popping to mind right about now?)
No cases of cholera caused by frogs have been reported so far in Suzhou and Nanjing (hrm, how about Shanghai??) but officials worry that it could spread quickly if someone does catch it.
We’re in peak bullfrog season right now, and the Tongchuang market alone sells 30-40,000 kg of frogs every day! If you, like many of our Shanghaiist team, have eaten bullfrog in the past few days and are now convinced you’re dying, worry not! The symptoms of the disease are pretty much impossible to miss (explosive diarrhea and vomiting, to name a few) and really all you have to do is rehydrate and take some antibiotics.