Nothing unexpected here, but it still feels somehow satisfying to see it confirmed. China Digital Times translates a leaked internal memo detailing the directives to China’s 50 cent party (五毛党, wǔmáodǎng, or paid pro-government internet commentators) in their efforts to “circumscribe the influence of Taiwanese democracy”:
(1) To the extent possible make America the target of criticism. Play down the existence of Taiwan.
(2) Do not directly confront [the idea of] democracy; rather, frame the argument in terms of “what kind of system can truly implement democracy.”
(3) To the extent possible, choose various examples in Western countries of violence and unreasonable circumstances to explain how democracy is not well-suited to capitalism.
(4) Use America’s and other countries’ interference in international affairs to explain how Western democracy is actually an invasion of other countries and [how the West] is forcibly pushing [on other countries] Western values.
(5) Use the bloody and tear-stained history of a [once] weak people [i.e., China] to stir up pro-Party and patriotic emotions.
(6) Increase the exposure that positive developments inside China receive; further accommodate the work of maintaining [social] stability.
They forgot to add (7) Troll. HARD.
(h/t The Peking Duck)